love, serenissima

Dear Readers: Happy Friday

 photo 1_zps39f400ef.jpg

I guess I got some 'splaining to do.

Sorry, guys, I did what I promised not to do. I abandoned my blog. A year ago, I found myself swamped by social media: in addition to this blog, there was Twitter, and tumblr, and tumblr again, and instagram. In addition to that, things got very hectic at my job and I simply found myself unable maybe unwilling to continue to devote so much time and energy to this blog. So I stepped back... 'temporarily,' I said. But then, something happened. I stopped blogging, and then I stopped reading other blogs. I stopped reading books, and then I stopped writing altogether. My entire life I've been a writer, and then, all of a sudden, I wasn't.

The lure of microblogging was great, one click of a button and your content goes up, images on tumblr, words on twitter. But twitter limited the scope of what I could do, and tumblr has pretty much zero original content. I was limiting my thoughts and ideas to reblogged pictures someone else created and 140 words or less. I was frequently in twitter jail. I was bored out of my mind.

And then I met someone.

The world changed. He has no social media, and I began to see why. Twitter began to seem more and more like an intrusive and non-productive waste of my time. I still enjoyed the instant gratification of uploading and reblogging pics on tumblr and instagram, but I missed writing; missed the succinctness of posts like this and the fun of posts like this. I missed trendspotting. I also missed my 'blogger friends;' the blogs I visited faithfully for laughs and inspiration. (Some of them have decided to quit their blogs, as well.) I missed YOU, the readers, the commenters, the ones who clicked on every post, the ones who told me I could do it. But most of all, I missed my voice. I missed that little voice inside of me that came out when I was writing, that blend of snark and humor and wit. I missed it.

I also wasn't happy at my job, which, while requiring me to funnel more time away from my personal pursuits and into my professional ones, did not allow me to flex my creative muscle. Through a series of fortunate events, however, I am now leaving my job, moving to a new state, and ENGAGED! So I've decided to return to blogging. Come with me on a journey of moving over a thousand miles, starting a new job, freelance writing, and planning a wedding. I'll stick with you guys if you stick with me, and that's a promise.

It's going to be a crazy ride. But guess what? It's Friday. And I'm happy.

P.S. I am also now freelancing over at Eighty and Six Magazine, so check us out!

1 comment:

  1. So glad you're back. All the best in your endevors. I too felt like social media has sucked me in. I haven't tweeted in two weeks and it feels good. It got to feeling very intrusive to me also. I'm trying to step away from Instagram also. Easier said than done.

    ReplyDelete