love, serenissima

Beauty Bag: Summer Staples

Summer is all about fun in the sun, but with rising temperatures come melting make-up, chapped lips, and constantly frizzy hair. With a few simple products, however, it's easy to maintain a pretty summer glow- despite salt, sweat, and seawater.

Shiny hair: yes. Shiny face: no. As an avid face washer, I picked up Grisi brand Savila soap one day because I was looking for a wash that combated oiliness but wouldn't dry me out.

Available at any drugstore, Target, and Walgreens for a whopping $0.99, I was amazed. The aloe vera bar can be used on both face and body, and I saw results within days of using it.

As promised, the skin on my face was noticeably softer, smoother, and moisturized. The oily patches over my forehead and chin remained matte, while the drier skin of my cheeks looked dewy. Not once did it leave behind a greasy film or residue, either...  my combination complexion was squeaky clean.

(An added perk: the healing properties of aloe vera also faded a scar I already had on my face.) This is one of those rare products both highly inexpensive and highly effective, so use it all summer- your face will thank you.

I can't live without lipgloss. Yup, I'm THAT girl: I've got at least six tubes in my purse, and don't consider myself dressed without a set of shiny lips. In my quest to find the perfect summer gloss, I've tried the uber-expensive (Lancome's Juicy Tubes at $18 per tube) and the cheap ($0.89 cent drugstore brand), but nothing tops Victoria's Secret Beauty Rush.

Thick as frosting, the moisturizing shine comes in over 15 shades and stays all day without needing reapplication. This makes it a bit sticky, however, so I would recommend blotting after you put it on or dabbing discreetly at your mouth throughout the day.

What really stands out is the smell and taste of the product: my favorite was 'Yummy Berry,' a bright red lacquer that has the mouth-watering kick of fruit punch. It makes good on it's labels boast of 'High-shine with major flavor,' and at $7 a pop in Victoria's Secret stores, it definitely doesn't disappoint.

Pantene Pro-V has long been a frontrunner in hair care, but they've cranked up the volume recently, revamping their products and releasing lines of specialized shampoos and conditioners.

My hair is out of control in the summer, so when confronted with their Curls conditioner, promises that it 'moisturizes curly and wavy hair to tame frizz,' and a two-for-one sale at Rite Aid, I shelled out my $7.49.

I don't like product buildup, so I usually only condition every other day, which a mistake with this conditioner. The first week I didn't see any difference.

My hair was still hard to detangle and, when dry, a frizzy, knotty mess. The second week I decided to actually follow the label and use it daily. And wouldn't you know? It was like an ENTIRELY different conditioner.

By the third day, detangling was a breeze, and at the end of the week my curls were bouncy and well-defined, even when back in a ponytail. A friend actually pulled one of my curls and said it looked "So moisturized." It took a few tries, but in the end I would recommend this to any curly-haired girl.

1 comment:

  1. Spectacular tips! Also, Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer is an excellent choice for super dry skin. The 'hint' of color covers any splotchy patches nicely without get'g gummy during the brutal summer days we're sure to get...def worth the $42 for all summer..

    ReplyDelete